Sunday, March 4, 2007

suffering americans

Today I again realized how narrow-minded I am. My wife and I spent an hour talking about what kind of computer we should buy, discussion which would be the best investment and serve us best down the road. I feel like we handled it well and were trying to be down to earth with balancing needs versus wants and ease.

Shortly after this discussion I read and email from a dear brother wherein I was reminded about what's happening in Gulu, Unganda. There, most of the young children flee to the city every night for valid fear of abduction, brain-washing, and enrollment in a violent and evil resistance army. I remember from the video "Invisible Children" how three boys sleep in a part of the sewer system each night after the daily commute to the city. After they mop up all the stale and rancid water, they have a "dry" place to rest for a few hours before they head back out into the open.

Oh Lord, have mercy on me a sinner! And help your children in need! Give me grace to keep things in perspective and to think globally for your names sake.

Invisible Children

2 comments:

  1. Yes, bran washing is horrible in Uganda right now. :)

    (Not to minimize the situation, just exploit a funny type-o

    ReplyDelete