Thursday, February 11, 2010

manliness

Manliness you say? What is he going to write about? Vacuums! That's right vacuums.

I don't know, there's just something manly about vacuuming. It is a power-tool after all. Weather I'm tenderly cleaning our nursery floor or violently blasting through 100 year old dust on the job site, I love to vacuum. The gentle hum of the motor, and the satisfaction of hearing debris bouncing off the sides of the vacuum tube, there's no down side. It's always satisfying to change the filter and see all that stuff that abides where you do!

Seriously, if our family was at your house for dinner and you said, "Hey Phil, wanna go downstairs and checkout the vacuum?" I'd say, "heck yes!"

I've gotten to know my vacuums. I have two. One is a Ridgid job site vacuum, wet or dry. The other is a household Kenmore, dark blue, with a powerful 12 amp motor and a light!

What do you wield? Men, are you with me?

11 comments:

  1. No sir, I am not.

    But I fear it's only because I'm not strong enough.

    You might be interested in this old post:

    http://jamsco.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/10-ways-to-know/

    But before you judge me because of it, you might want to read this, written a few days later:

    http://jamsco.wordpress.com/2007/08/08/second-opinion/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got a Dyson 5 years ago as a wedding gift. It revolutionized the way I suck (up dirt from my carpets). Of all the features they promote the best is the cord, it's like 30 feet long so I can basically vacuum the entire downstairs without moving the plug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use a 30 year old Hoover that my wife's grandparents gave us. It may not have all the fancy schmancy attachments and super duper filters, but it gets the job done and has a bonus dose of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, that speaks volumes about Hoover. I like it, practical, retro, awesome! I bet the thing has some good weight to is also. I feel like half these new vacuums double in weight after you vacuum a floor. How's a guy supposed to develop huge pipes with a light vacuum?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a bagless Hoover, which would do the job, but it's no match for all the dog hair it has to suck up. I end up emptying it twice in a trip around the house, and it always makes a mess (which I then have to vaccuum up.) I'm waiting to invest in a Dyson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not Phil, I use a vacuum named "The Boss".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesse, I believe that makes YOU the boss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got a dyson a few years ago. It's amazing. The carpets may look clean, but it omnivorously attacks and pulls out everything that's hiding. And the best part is the satisfaction you get watching the digestion at work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Help. I hate my vacuum.

    Can you recommend an inexpensive (and smaller) vacuum that will get the job done in a 900 sq. ft. apartment?

    Note: We have a toddler and no dog. So crumbs abound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a hoover wind tunnel vacume 15 years ago.
    I have always done the vacuming at our house I even bought several pairs of stanley noise reducing earmuffs for me and the kids to wear while the vacume is on. Its great we don't talk only point and grunt to comunicate, its leadership at it purist form.

    ReplyDelete