Saturday, October 10, 2009

winter bike ride

Went for a bike ride this morning after breakfast.  I set in at the Pincushion Mountain trailhead and stayed left on the Pincushion Overlook loop.  There were many down poplars blocking the trail in a serious way.  I decided to skip the single track loop near the overlook and continue on back toward the trailhead.

I thought I would try a different trail back since there were so many trees down.  Just past the overlook there is a trail that follows the main tail a while.  I was told once by a local that it ends up back at the trailhead so I thought I was safe.  About two miles in I realized I wasn't going to come out at the trail head.  There was way too much downhill and I seemed to be veering east.

I finally came to the bottom of a hill and I was in the back yard of a run down trailer house with a bunch of beater cars in the back yard.  I quickly road down the drive way to avoid the attack dog.  I came out on Hwy 61 about three miles east of town, which meant I was six miles from the trailhead, all uphill.  So...

I pedaled toward the Gunflint into about a thirty mile/hr. headwind (oh, did I mention it was snowing?).  I made it into town and rounded the corner onto the Gunflint, my hands, feet, and face were frozen.  I knew I was going to be in pain when my feet thawed.  About half a mile up the Gunflint a truck pulled over after passing me and I said, "YES!"  I pedaled up to him only to realize he stopped to take a picture of the fall colours.  I stopped and asked if I could hitch a ride to the top and he thankfully said yes!

I have to say, thawing feet is one of my least favorite experiences.  The whole ride back to Garry and Renee's I was in severe pain.

I love these types of experiences.  I hope I have many more while I'm still able to so them.

No comments:

Post a Comment