Monday, January 7, 2008

wheel bearings

Today I felt like I reached a new level of manhood - I changed out a front wheel bearing/hub assembly on one of our cars. I bought the part used from a salvage yard, therefore I got it for $140 cheaper than brand new from the auto store. I can't imagine how much it would have cost to have a mechanic repair it.

This was the first time I ever pulled an axle. It's kind of neat to be able say you've done that. I feel that "handiness" is something my generation has lost. I have many friends, and most of them are clueless when it comes to being handy (no offense to any of you, you're most likely reading this). There's a grand difference between "not being handy," and "not wanting to be handy" or "laziness" (I'm using handy in the broad sense - able to trouble shoot and come up with solutions for problems). Most people have a "let somebody else deal with it" attitude which I will admit is way easier, but not necessarily the best option.

I'm glad that the Lord has given me the confidence to try new things, and given me successes among my many failures. When I look back at some of the first pieces of furniture I built I chuckle because of their simplicity and lack of "elegance." But then I remember how proud I was back then, and how it served a purpose. One of the first things I ever built was coffee table made of scrap wood and two garage windows from a work site. I've rebuilt and modified it three times, and it still serves as our coffee table.

Another thing I appreciate (and I'm not saying this to brag at all) is that the Lord has given the body of Christ different gifts. I'm glad I can help my friends out with their car problems, and help them fix up their houses. And I'm also glad that those same friends can help me trouble shoot my computer and do my taxes. God has given each person gifts, it's whether we're using those gifts to serve God and the body of Christ that makes all the difference in the world.

Anyways, the wheel bearing wasn't that bad, but I don't recommend it for a Sunday afternoon project unless you have a little time and a great deal of patience. Once you get the tire and brake caliper off, it's only three bolts and nut, but don't let the low numbers fool you. These nuts and bolts don't like to be loosened.

Well, happy projects!

PS - the picture is to show you what I drank in celebration of my vehicular success.

No comments:

Post a Comment