Sunday, July 6, 2008

you once were called "not kayakers," but now you are called "kayakers."

So I went Kayaking for the first time ever this weekend - a lot more difficult then I thought it would be. I don't know how those people can survive going down rapids!

So on Lake Superior on a calm day, I kid you not, I could see clear as day 20 feet below the surface of the water! The weirdest thing happened. Normally when you're on a sea craft you can't see that far beneath the surface so the surface becomes your reference point. Well, since you could see clearly so far down, the bottom of the lake became my reference point and I actually was getting scared of heights. When the kayak would wobble, I thought, "If I fall, I'm going to hit those rocks way down there!" It was such a crazy thing. Not to mention how ridiculously cold the lake water is! I tried swimming, but I may as well just have taken a bath in liquid nitrogen then try to enjoy my swim in Superior. I will say, it was refreshing!




No comments:

Post a Comment