Sunday, August 9, 2009

head knowledge alone is insufficient

Just read this in a book I started reading and was really struck by it. The book is "the Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouwen.

"I had never before given much attention to people with a mental handicap. Much to the contrary, I had focused increasingly on university students and their problems. I learned how to give lectures and write books, how to explain things systematically, how to make titles and subtitles, how to argue and how to analyze. So I had little idea as to how to communicate with men and women who hardly speak and, if they do speak, are not interested in logical arguments or well-reasoned opinions. I knew even less about announcing the Gospel of Jesus to people who listened more with their hearts than with their minds and who were far more sensitive to what I lived that to what I said."

No comments:

Post a Comment