Monday, February 26, 2007

work in progress: for Abraham to wordsmith

Hey Abraham,

This is a new song I've been working on from Isaiah 46. Please feel free to critique and rework as you think would be beneficial. The recording is solely for you to have a melody to keep in your mind as you look at syllables. I'm also wondering, should it be changed to from the first person to third person? Let me know what you think.



Isaiah 46

Verse:
For I am God, there's none like me, for I am God alone
I am your God, there's none like me, declaring the end from beginning.
Call this to mind and stand firm, call it to mind you sinners.
Remember everything that I've done, for I am God alone.

Verse:
When you are old, still I am He, I'll carry you to the end
That I have made, and I will bear, I'll carry and I will save.
Whom can you find that's my equal? To whom shall I be compared?
For when you cry I will answer, for I am God alone.

Verse:
Come to me all with heavy heart, and I will give you rest
Take up my yoke and learn from me, finding rest for your souls.
My yoke is easy my burden light, come to me little children.
For I am gentle and humble, see that I'm God alone.

Chorus:
I've spoken, I'll bring it to pass
I've purposed and it will be done.
All I've spoken, I'll bring it to pass,
My purposes, all will be done.
They will be done.

Bridge:
Listen to me, you hardened of heart, you who are far away
I will bring near, all that I am, salvation will not delay.
I will save you
I will save you
I will save you
For my glory

8 comments:

  1. No need for a smith if you have a Carlson.

    Molly and I really liked it.

    -Abraham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! Seriously, what can be done to make it better. I would actully like to introduce this one to my team this week, and perhaps get it in the mix at BBC so...

    What do you think about singing in the first person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, the 1st or 3rd person question is a good one. I remember a long time ago a worship song that I really liked based on Isaiah that was in the 1st person. I found that I really loved the song when others were singing it and I was just soaking in God speaking to me through the scripture but as a corporate worship song it was always kind of wierd to sing it in the 1st person.

    So basically I don't really know the right answer but I think if it were going to be used as a corporate worship song I would probably prefer 3rd person whereas if it was going to be recorded on a CD or performed as special music in a church service then I like the 1st person.

    But please, only take that as one person's opinion and base no decision off that.

    -Luke

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very good insight Luke, as always when coming from you. I will follow your suggestion and use it accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you did a bit of re-writing you could use both 1st and 3rd. Like maybe 1st in the verses then 3rd in the chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr. Wordsmith,

    You speak as if it's possible for me to accomplish this, what's the deal? That is a great suggestion. What might this look like?

    Seriously, if you ever have a break between your studies, and it would be a blessing to your soul, take the red pen to it and work your magic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phil,
    I love the song. Musically is quite appetizing to my ear. I LOVE the suspended/semi-dissonant note in your melody line at the end of "I will save you." (think that's the line...in the bridge!) Very cool. Emily and I both agree with Luke on the first person thing. Emily thought it would be great as a solo offertory piece. "Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -Martin Luther Keep up the great work my very good friend.
    -Seth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments and encouraging words. I think I'll keep working on it and see if some things solidify. Perhaps we could play it through the next time we're together and I could get even more help then. Thanks brother.

    When is your fesitval happening?

    ReplyDelete